With the hustle and bustle of having two VERY active little boys and activities all weekend, sometimes there just is not enough time to sew!
This weekend was a prime example of “no time to sew”. We had a holiday party for the Houston Fashion Bloggers, family birthday parties, and kids’ activities that allowed only a small window to do anything else.
SKIRT: DIY (no pattern) | TOP: DIY used Vogue V8670 | JEWELRY: Necklace (old) |
With limited time this weekend, I did not start any new projects. I chose to finish one that had been on my mannequin for a few weeks. I needed to hem the skirt and put the coverstitch on the top. Finishing details took about 10 minutes…which was really the only time that I had…lol!
The skirt was constructed with 3 yards of silk faille fabric. I purchased it a few years ago on sale for $25.00/yard at fabricmartfabrics.com. This particular fabric is sold out (similar in a floral pattern HERE). Silk faille was the perfect fabric choice to hold pleats and have the necessary body. Pleat construction is actually pretty simple. The tricky part for me was that this pattern did not mathematically add up and allow the pattern to line up as I had ideally wanted it to. The solution would have been to have an extra 1 1/2 of fabric.
Here are a few steps that I used to create my pleated skirt:
1) I cut the fabric using the full width of the fabric. I cut it about 42″ long (this included about 1″ for the waist band seam allowance and 8″ hem …folded twice 4″). The back panels were cut with the same measurements and I cut the fabric in half lengthwise on the fold.
2) The pleats were folded 4″ wide each. I had to manipulate the pleats slightly to make them fit to the waistband measurements. Basting stitches were added to hold the pleats in place.
3) Added side seam pockets. The back panels were attached to the front panel (attaching the pockets and creating the side seams).
4) I wanted the skirt to sit high on the waist. I took my waist measurements a few inches below my bustline. The waistband was constructed by using my waist measurement + 1″ (for seam allowance) with a width of 8 inches. The final waistband is 4″ wide (folded in half).
5) I added an invisible zipper.
6) The waistband was finished using stitch in the ditch technique. The hem was finished using the blind hem stitch on the machine.
I would also suggest McCall’s pattern M6706. The finished waistband on this pattern is about 1 1/2 – 2″ wide. For the desired waistband width, cut it wider.
For the top I used Vogue pattern V8670. I cut about 6 inches away from the bottom of the front and back pattern pieces. I used my serger to do the coverstitch on the shirt hem and sleeves. I used about 1 1/2 yards of ponte knit fabric. I purchased the ponte knit on a special for $2.99/yard :)!
Overall, I was VERY pleased with the outcome of both of the pieces!
I would love to hear your feedback!