Hello and Happy New Year!
The New Year’s celebrations are over and as I am planning and sewing for 2015, I have started thinking about the staples that I need to add to my wardrobe. Each season I assess what I need to add to my wardrobe (that I will either sew or buy). I love sewing my own…but there are some things that I do not sew. For starters, it is sometimes cheaper to buy than to make myself (ex. tank top, teeshirt, etc). I replace and refresh many of my essentials in my wardrobe often. Also, I love creating new things that I cannot find in the store. Whether you sew or not, there are a few things that are essential for layering and pairing back to your seasonal pieces.
A few of my favorite stores for essentials are: GAP, Banana Republic, JCrew, and H&M. Here is my top 15 list of wardrobe staples for transitional Winter and Spring 2015 that I am shopping for now.
(Click on image above for product details)
1) White Long-Sleeve Woven – I like to refresh my wovens each season. There is nothing like a fresh, white crispy woven that can be worn day or night. Great for layering, I will be pairing my wovens with coats and skirts that I am planning for the near future. My favorites HERE and HERE.
2) Updated Denim Jeans – A great pair of denim can be dressed up or down. GAP has the best fit that I have found in the marketplace. Here are a few pair that are on my shopping list HERE, HERE and HERE.
3) Black Tote – Perfect for business meetings, interviews, and everyday wear…a black tote has so many end uses. The Tory Burch Thea Convertible tote HERE and Jessica Square Tote HERE are some of my favorites. Not sure which one yet…but they are both beautiful.
4) Striped Tee – There are a few patterns/prints that really never go out of style. A basic black and white striped tee is a prime example. Great mixed with other prints like leopard or floral, these stripes will serve as a basic in my Spring wardrobe. Here are the links to the striped tees on my list HERE and HERE.
5) Culottes – I actually have culottes on my “project list” to work on for now and the upcoming season. Some patterns that I am considering altering are the Vogue V8955 or Burda 6856. I love this Rebecca Taylor pair HERE as a ready to wear option.
6) Red Pumps – I have been on the hunt for the perfect pair of red pumps for a some time. A great pair of red pumps is so hard to find. I have found that red pumps walk a fine line between looking cheap. Often times the reds are the wrong shade of red. Here are some of the best options I have found HERE and HERE.
7) Trench – Nothing beats a great trench that is easy and versatile. I think that I might be adding a trench to my project list this year (maybe?). But in the meantime, this trench from J.Crew HERE is amazing…just in case I don’t get around to making my own!
(Click on image above for product details)
8) Black Jumper – A black jumper is sort of like a quintessential little black dress. It can be worn in so many ways: casual, work, or going out. I recently purchased one at Banana Republic (on sale), but here are some other ready-to-wear options HERE and HERE. I will also plan on using my go-to pattern Vogue V1249 to make another quick jumpsuit.
9) Denim Shirt – With Rodeo season around the corner, here in Texas, it is the perfect time for me to update my denim shirt options. I like to have a variety of denim shirts in different rinses and washes. Here are a few options that I love (HERE and HERE).
10) Black Essential Pump or Wedge – I love the following versatile options as staples for your wardrobe shoe options. Kate Spade has a beautiful patent wedge HERE that would be great for workwear or casual option. HERE is the link to my favorite, staple pump.
11) Tank tops – Hands down the H&M basic tank (instores…but HERE is another great option) is a must for my wardrobe. I buy the about 6 at a time so that I have them in constant rotation. This staple is both inexpensive and they has the perfect long fit.
12) Yellow Pumps – Second to the red pumps, I have been on a fierce mission to find the perfect pair of yellow shoes. (I have really been into this color lately.) Similarly, yellow shoes are a very fine line between cheap and chic. I have only found a few that fit the chic criteria that I am looking for and here are a few examples (HERE and HERE).
13) Good Bra – Nothing can ruin a great outfit like an ill-fitting bra. My FAVORITE bra is the Bra-Vo Breezy Back-Smoothing bra from Spanx (HERE). Sort of pricey…but SO worth the money! The fit is great, it smooths the back, and gives you perfect lift.
14) Underpinnings -Whether you call it a girdle or shapewear, I think that every woman should own at least one great shape foundation (unless of course your body is perfect…lol)! There are so many styles in shapewear that serve so many functions. A good set of foundation should smooth your figure, create a smooth layer under your clothes, and hide unsightly visible panty lines. The most universal shapewear silhouette, which is my favorite, is the Spanx Slim Cognito High Waist Mid-Thigh Shaper HERE.
15) Jewelry – Refreshing your jewelry wardrobe can instantly take an outfit from last year’s style to updated. Here a few options that I am loving right now. Click on these links for the jewelry on my wish list HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE.
What are some of your wardrobe staples for the new year? I hope that my list is helpful in getting your 2015 wardrobe shopping underway.