March 13, 2015
I am so excited to show the outfit that I made for the Pretty Girls Sew Rippin’ Ain’t Easy Competition (please go and vote for my look…VOTE HERE). I must admit that this challenge was a bit of a “Project Runway” make it work moment. For starters, I have been extremely busy with my family, work, and getting my post completed for The McCall Pattern Sewalong. On top of that, I had to prepare for my trip to New York to visit one of my really good friends. I had only one weekend to work on this outfit and I had to make it work! But I actually thought this outfit was going to be a disaster…
My mom was so generous to help me out. She took my boys for the weekend which gave me time to work on my project. I was able to start my project and I had hopes to finish it before my flight on Wednesday. The challenge was to use McCall’s pattern M6953 HERE. We were allowed to make alterations as long as we maintained the integrity of the pattern’s design. I chose View C and split the top and bottom portion to make a highwaisted skirt and crop top.
I started on Friday night cutting and preparing my fabric. I had plans of using a black polyester suiting fabric that I found at Joann’s (the pattern requires a lot fabric and since I had never used it before, I wanted to keep my cost down). I had also had plans to treat the fabric with a design (that I am too ashamed to talk about).
I had all night Friday and all day Saturday to work on my project. Unfortunately, by the time I was ready to sew the side seams together…I decided that this WAS NOT the project that I wanted to deliver! So Sunday morning, in the rain, I made a quick dash to Joann’s find denim. Round 2. I purchased 3 yards of denim and had 3 yards of denimfrom my stash. (Denim is relatively inexpensive and I thought it would be an interesting twist to this pattern). Needless to say, I went home…prepped my denim fabric…started stitching it up…and HATED IT!
Round 3. I actually pulled the first project out of the garbage and thought that I could salvage it…WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The next day I showed my coworkers my potentionally salvageable garment and they were brutally honest and told me that it was UGLY. I panicked! I had only ONE day to get fabric, cut and sew a new skirt and top…and function the next day at work. Are you kidding me?
Luckily, I had recently purchased some lovely neoprene fabric (HERE and HERE) in a solid and floral print. I had other plans for this fabric and I really did not think that the skirt and top would execute well in this particular fabric.
FINAL ROUND. Monday night I went home, made dinner, put the kids to bed, and was on a fierce mission to cut and sew my skirt and top in one night. Since I was using a neoprene fabric, I did not need to add zippers to the back of the top. Both the solid and printed fabrics were so beautiful, that I made the top reversible. I did it…YAY… and most importantly, I loved the execution!
Well…enough for now on my “make it work moment”…
Please go and vote for my look at the link HERE. Voting ends tonight (Friday, March 13th).