April 7, 2015
The time is finally here for show and tell of our wrap dresses! I am so overjoyed with this opportunity to co-host for the McCall Pattern Company wrap dress sewalong with Meg Carter (McCall’s) and Lucinda Campbell (sew-wrong.com). For six weeks, we have been posting tips on making our versions of a Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress using Vogue, Butterick, McCall’s, or Kwik Sew patterns. (I used Vogue V8379.)
When we first started the sewalong, I knew immediately that I wanted to make the top portion solid and the skirt portion in a print (in a maxi length). The bodice is made from a poly crepe fabric and the skirt portion is a rayon/silk jersey… links to fabric HERE. I created the following styleboard to pull inspiration for my fabric. The dress from the styleboard is from Diane Von Furstenberg’s current season.
Honestly, I did not realize how closely the knit fabric that I purchased resembled the inspiration look (which is actually a woven fabric). The pictures from the online site, where I purchased the fabric, could not do this fabric justice! There was no way that they could show how beautifully large and bold the flowers were on the fabric. When it arrived, I nearly fainted from the excitement!
One thing that I did not discuss in my first post, is cutting longer/wider pattern pieces than your existing sewing surface. As I mentioned, in the post on cutting your fabric, you should not let your fabric hang from the edge of your cutting surface. This will drastically alter the size of your cut pieces. I added 18″ to the length of the skirt bottom (including the hem) to make a maxi. I wanted to maintain all of the width. Adding the length took my skirt width out far beyond my cutting table surface. In order to cut this portion, I took several cutting mats and placed it on an open space on the floor.
Horrible picture quality…but I really wanted to show how I used the floor to cut the full width of the fabric.
The fabric has a large pattern and the flowers needed to go in the same direction for each piece. The large pattern required me to use more fabric. I purchased 5 yards of the floral fabric. (I will give the leftover pieces to a very close family friend who makes handkerchiefs…I think that she will make some beautiful pieces with this fabric).
I added side seam pockets to my dress (always a must for me!). I made the pattern using the edges of the skirt and my hand to measure out the pockets. I did a free-hand pattern around my hand to get the right shape. I used a tracing wheel to transfer the pocket outlines to the paper underneath. The traced pattern was then cut from the paper (all markings transferred). Then I cut my fabric…adding a 5/8″ seam allowance around the pocket pattern.
Overall, I love how my dress executed in the knit fabric (vs the woven fabric from the inspiration). The flowiness from the fabric made it more versatile and easier to wear. The sewalong was perfect timing and I wore my dress to church for Easter Sunday. It was comfortable enough to wrestle with my two little ones and yet the colors and silhouette were perfect for the day.
I want to thank The McCall Pattern Company for the opportunity to co-host the wrap dress sewalong. I hope that you enjoyed making your own DVF inspired dress. I can’t wait to see your completed dresses!
Don’t forget to post your pictures on the FLICKR page and tag #wrapdresssewalong on other social media.