June 8, 2015
For the past four months my blog had been solely focused on the Pretty Girls Sew Rippin Ain’t Easy sewing competition. I am a few months behind on my summer sewing projects, but I have some great sewing plans and DIYs that I can’t wait to share!
Nevertheless, there is one more round left and voting for that round is this Saturday, June 13th. I will post voting information on that day.
The competition started with nine very talented women. We have had six challenges that were two weeks long each. Each round’s winner and the person eliminated were chosen by votes from our family, friends, and sewing peers. We are now down to three competitors and the last round. The last round is a Red Carpet look. I can’t wait to share my look!
Before the final round reveal, here is a quick recap of the competition and each of my submissions. Round 1, our challenge was to make McCall’s 6953. We could make alterations to the pattern as long as the it was close to the original design. I split the top part and the bottom of the dress pattern to make a skirt and reversible top. I used a solid black and floral neoprene fabric. You can check out the full post HERE.
Round 2, the competition was to use Simplicity pattern 1464 View C. I cut the pant legs to make culottes. We also had to challenge of making a top to wear with the pants (any pattern of our choice). I used fabric that was in my stash for this round that I had actually messed up from another project to make the pants and the vest. I used the remaining black neoprene from challenge week 1 to make the top. I also won this round of this competition. More details on this round’s challenge found HERE.
Round 3, was one of my favorite. The challenge for the week was colorblocking using McCall’s pattern M6706. I used a wool silk fabric that I purchased from a trip, prior to the challenge, to New York. I purchased additional fabric to make the stripes of silk and poly shantung. We also had to make a top to go with the skirt. I used Simplicity 1613. Further details HERE.
Round 4, was a Gingham challenge. We had the choice of any design and of course any gingham fabric. I used a lovely cotton large gingham print fabric for this week’s challenge. I used one of my older patterns (Vogue V2414), which was also a vintage reproduction. Further details found HERE.
Round 5, a true challenge indeed! We had to use a pdf pattern Burda 107A, which 1) you have to add your own seam allowances and 2) I had never used before. I had a couple of trail and errors to get the fit just right. Nevertheless, this was my favorite wearable outfit that I am looking forward to wearing soon! Click HERE for further details.
Round 6, as in Round 5, was definitely a challenge. This challenge was something that I had NEVER done before and probably ever do it again! Our challenge, for this round was to use unconventional fabric. There was so much creativity from all the ladies. “Fabric” options were trash bags, fabric softener sheets, and flooring. I used magazines folded into chevrons and pennies! I will admit that this was my FAVORITE challenge of them all. We could go beyond the conventional to create something fantastic. Plus, I also won this round of the challenge! Click HERE for more pics and details.
Shortly, it will be time to vote for the final round. After many sleepless nights, countless trips to the fabric store (which my husband and pocket-book will keep me from visiting for a while…not really), and balancing a crazy family schedule, it is near the end! I have learned so much, been challenged in so many ways, and challenged myself in ways that I would have never imagined.
There is ONE more round…and I will need your votes to win! We have all worked really hard to get to this point of the competition. I will be posting information on Saturday, June 13th.
Voting for the final round and Red Carpet challenge will be Saturday ONLY from 9am-8pm CST.,,STAY TUNED!
I will be catching up on my summer project lists and back to my regular posting shortly…